Monday, October 5, 2009

Florida Trip: Day 3

Another reason why I love my wife. As I sit down to write this I hear "Farve is is kicking his old team's ass. " =)

So, on with day 3. We actually got up at a decent time, 8, and began to get ready. Jude and Nichole went downstairs so I could pack. We met up with Pat and Wendy and made are way to the day's breakfast location. The Waffle House.

I'm sure many of you have heard of the infamous breakfast chain that seems to have locations in every state, except for the one I live in. I'll admit it, I really do enjoy this place. I'm not sure exactly why, but I do. Jim Gaffigan is an extremely funny comedian who does a Waffle House bit, I suggest you find a way to hear it.

Anyways, we all order the special: 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, grits, bacon or sausage, waffle or biscuits & gravy, all for $6.99. Needless to say I order the waffle and bacon. Holy crap. Apparently most people like crispy bacon, I could care less for it, but these were crispy strips of carbon. Everything else was really good. The clientele of this chain includes, but is not limited to, haggard bikers (and their drug-skinny-tattooed-spikey hair SOs), older folk, folk that could be seen on COPS and out of towners. Well, it is cheap, fast and pretty good considering what it is.

Once we left we made our way from Clearwater to Orlando. So, if none of you looked at a map, Clearwater is on the west coast sort of near the middle of the state. Orlando is about 1 1/2 hour to the east and I believe to the north as well. Lake Mary (where Pat's aunt lives) is northeast of Orlando by about 45 minutes. Florida is very flat compared to SoCal. In my opinion, it's quite weird be because you can see everything for miles. On our way to Orlando we passed by Dinosaur World and upon entering Orlando there was a metal power pole in the shape of Mickey ears.

Orlando is interesting. There are a lot of large, tall buildings and touristy shops. As far as the shops are concerned, it's like Anaheim, but on steroids. What is also interesting to observe is that it seems the economy drop hit harder in Florida than many parts of the country. There are numerous shops, restaraunts, attractions that we have seen that have been closed, for what looks like quite awhile. On the brighter side, I guess, I have seen more green driving from Clearwater/Tampa and around Orlando and Lake Mary.

Pat's aunt, Chickie, is really nice and hospitable. She is the oldest of the six kids, Chickie, Dalores, Art, Joan, Louie, Terry. Dalores died years ago and Pat's mom, Joan, about five ago. I've went with Nichole and her parents a few years ago to Virginia to visit and meet Terry, super nice and has done extensive geneology.

Enough family rambling. We had a nice visit with Chickie. She lives in a really nice gated condo community about 15 minutes away from her adopted son, Tim. Her husband past a couple of years ago. Chickie made a yummy dinner, with dessert and we were off, after spending a few hours catching up.

Back at the hotel we said goodnight to Pat and Wendy and retired to our rooms only to be disturbed by our rumbling tummies. So while Nichole had quiet time with Jude trying to get him to sleep I was on a mission to find snacks. Our room had a mini frig and micro, but there was no pantry to purchase snacks (like others we have stayed in with mini appliances). So I ask the front desk if there was a convenience store I could walk to (the rental was in Pat's name). Bless her soul, the woman at the desk informed me that there was a Walgreens aways away, but in walking distance. I googled it, yeah, try 15 minutes. But I stumbled upon a Winn-Dixie that Google said was 5 minutes away, it was really 15. I couldn't imagine the far the Walgreens really was.

Well, it's late and we are going to Epcot tomorrow, so goodnight.

Wesley

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone





No comments:

Post a Comment